Saturday, October 7, 2017

Blog Video Review

1. Key ideas/concepts I learned from the videos:
Through the Eyes of a Sculptor:
I didn't realize how much time and effort are put into full body sculptures.  There is a huge process from the start of sculpting a real model, to the installation which involves heavy machinery and equipment.  Every stop has to be a careful and safe step because you could ruin the casting of a piece at any time.  (I just made two plaster molds for the first time yesterday in ceramics, so I somewhat understand the timely process).
Glass and Ceramics:
I learned that glass is made out of silica, which I knew what that is because I have to mix my own clay in ceramics and silica is one of the most dangerous components of the clay.  It is not a good chemical to breath in.  Also, artists use already colored pieces of glass to put into window murals. The most common technique for glass stained windows is the lead technique.

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The videos relate to the text because they both touch and go into depth on some of the topics discussed in the text. For example, readings and the videos relate because they both go into detail about sculpting a piece, and the very time consuming installation of a piece.  The text talks about the process of casting and the modeling of a figure, which the video does that also.  The second part of the text (chapter 12) talks about the glass stained windows and ceramic functional pieces, even going into detail how the specific ones from that artist are made.  


3. What is my opinion of the films?  How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation and Craft?
Through the Eyes of a Sculptor:
As I said before, this video shows you literally every step you need to know.  For sculpture and craft, it shows sculpting the woman, getting her every curve and angle correct, then casting her body, to installing it.  I never thought about installing big sculptures, but now I know how some of them are installed! Very slowly and carefully with machinery equipment. 
Glass and Ceramics:
I didn't realize you had to 'fire' the glass so many times.  I did a glass blowing class at Corning and I didn't realize how much "behind the scenes" work is put into the glass.  They show the whole process from the start, to forming a shape you may want while using many different materials to do so, which ever the artist chooses. Ceramics can be used for many different purposes, from functional ware in the kitchen, hip replacements and on train engines!

No comments:

Post a Comment