Architecture: The Science of Design
1. I learned that skyscrapers are made up of two different parts. The whole structure that is above ground, and the whole structure that is underground. I didn't know that, that happened until the text and videos taught me! The very cool fact that I learned is that very tall buildings can sway back and forth up to a whole meter! When it's windy out, it's common for the elevator to stop! (#525 reason I don't take elavators)
Last Call for Planet Earth: Sustainable Development and Architecture
1a. In this video I learned that floors can be made to cool and heat homes. In the winter, they run warm water through to warm it, and in the summer they run cool water through. I have heard of heated concrete floors before, but never heated floors by water! From the opposite of floors, I learned there can be roof gardens made with a platform of stone! These are ways to bring nature into buildings.
2. The videos relate to the text in many ways. They show how architecture is made not just for tall buildings, but in column structures, structures with arches, architecture made out of concrete and even steel.
3. I think the films are informational and educational, but they are a bit dated so we might be missing some more modern information that has been added since the films were made.
4. I choose this video because I had no knowledge on how architecture in buildings are designed.
4a. I choose the second film I watched due to the title. The title intrigued me by the first part, "Last Call for Planet Earth."
No comments:
Post a Comment