Tuesday, September 26, 2017

2 Artworks I made a connection with:
 Jean-Francois Millet
Les falaisees de Greville
(The Cliffs of Greville) (1871-72)
Oil on canvas
Elisabeth H. Gates Fund, 1919

I felt a connection with this work for a couple reasons. 
First off, because I really enjoy painting landscapes myself, 
and I'm absolutely  obsessed with the way the water
meets the land.  Secondly, because I love when artists
create a landscape in their own style, meaning, not
completely realistic, but not completely abstract either. 
Claude Monet
Chemin de halage a Argenteuil (Towpath at Argenteuil, Winter)
1875-76,
 Oil on canvas, 
Gift of Charles Clifton, 1919

The same reason I had a connection with the piece above is
almost why I had a connection with this one.  I had recently 
created a abstract landscape of letchworth, with the same
type of brushstrokes here that Monet used.  I feel a connection
with Monet's work because he inspires me to make more
abstract, my own style-type landscapes.
2 Artworks I want to know more about:

James Ensor
Le feu d'artifice (Fireworks), 1887
Oil and encaustic on canvas
George B. and Jenny R. Mathews Fund, 1970

I would like to know more about this work because of
the title and the colors.  I, personally, don't feel as if I've
seen any fireworks this color.  It's interesting to me that
they picked oranges and yellows, with the title being 
fireworks, because fireworks are often reds, whites,
blues and maybe greens too.

Gustave Caillebottle
Etude pour Le Pont de l'Europe 1876
Oil on canvas
Bequest of A. Conger Goodyear, by exchange, 1974

I got super excited when I seen this piece while walking through
the gallery!  I have recently studied abroad and I would love to know
where this bridge is located exactly because I walked along quite
a few bridges that looked just like this.  Especially the London bridge,
above and below the bridge had this pattern throughout.
2 Artworks that impacted me:

Marc Chagall
The Flying Fish, 1948
Oil on canvas
Room of Contemporary Art Fund, 1949

The reason that this artwork impacted might 
be odd, but this is literally what I thought when
I saw it:

    "Oh, this reminds me of my wedding day one
day in the future.  Farm like, with animals around
and making my husband, family and friends take
too many pictures with me all day."




















Ben Nicholson
White Relief, ca. 1937-38
Painted wood
Gift of Seymour H. Knox, Jr., 1960

This piece impacted me on a very personal connection.  I have
always been an artist for as long as I remember, and also for as
long as I can remember my dad has been a wood-worker.  We 
work very well together as a team, he builds a lot of pieces for 
me and then I paint, and finish them off!  We sell a lot of pieces
together, and I will never forget this bond.  This wood-made 
piece definitely reminded me of my father and I.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed seeing your personality and personal life reflected back into your "whys" of your imagery selected. I chose to use a different gallery for my project so it was exciting to see your chosen imagery. There are famous works from your images I have studied in art history and recall the historical context which allowed me to deepen my connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The art that i chose was very different than mine. i really enjoyed looking at this blog its really interesting to see how you connected to each one.

    ReplyDelete