Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Module 10

Select, Analyze and Describe


1.  "Another Mask from the Deep South."  Above is the first mask I have chosen, this mask has a ton of texture, value and form.  The form of this mask is very three dimensional, it has a lot of different characteristics to it, making it more interesting.  The variety of materials used in this mask create a variety of texture, looking smooth, rough and soft in the lighter material areas.  The scale of the mask looks like it is within proportion.



2.  "Jaguar mask from the Chiriguanos."  I chose this mask above because I can relate to it personally: in my one ceramics class I was required to create a mask and I made an elephant mask.  Therefore, both of these are animals, and I've made an animal mask.  There is implied texture on this mask that is created by the painted lines on the Jaguars face, and theres also texture on the teeth.  There is emphasis on the nose/ front of the face of the jaguar, it being the first spot your eye focus' on.


3.  "Fern Mask," from Thomas Murray.  This dark, textured mask is created out of ferns.  I choose this mask to analyze because as an artist, nature has inspired me to create my art by memories form my childhood.  Therefore, I am going to use some type of nature to create this mask.  The value in this mask is varied, while staying dark in most areas and even darker in the deeper areas.  It almost looks like the texture on the mask has movement going on, but it doesn't.  The mask is most definitely not in proportion, it's more of an abstract created mask.

Plan Your Mask

1. Nature - trees
2. Color - browns, blacks and ashy
3. Texture - tree bark

Sketches and Final Mask



Elements and Principles

I used several elements and principles in my mask.  I used line throughout the entire thing, using the line to create textures, value, shape and patterns.  In my mask, I choose to create a tree bark texture with the use of charcoal and colored pencils. In doing so, I created movement throughout my mask.  

Process

As an artist, I portray nature in my artwork through memories of my childhood.  I was often outside as a child, therefore a lot of my memories involve nature, so I try to use the textures of the nature I enjoy reminiscing memories about.  I enjoyed making my mask because I am working on a series of tree textured artworks, so this was the perfect project for me to be working on!  I like the end result of my mask, having it look semi- realistic but also being fun and playful as a mask.  


No comments:

Post a Comment